A Leader in Engine Machining
We Specialize in Automotive Engines
Who We Are
A leader in Engine Machining, Custom Machining, and CNC Machine projects, our focus is automotive engine (domestic and foreign), light truck, and small industrial (gas and diesel) engine machining and rebuilding.
Our 9,600 square foot facility in St. Charles, Illinois allows us to handle automotive, antique, and high-performance engine projects, while providing the level of service our customers have relied on for over 48 years.
What We Do
Focused to meet or exceed customer’s specifications for most engines, we assist dealerships, repair shops, and DIYers with the following services:
Grinding & Polishing
Boring & Honing
Head & Block
The legacy of Auto Machine, Incorporated dates back to 1902 when the great-grandfather and grandfather to the company owners, Jim and John DeBates, carried on their automotive knowledge and experience, inspiring the brothers to establish the St. Charles-based service company in 1974.
Tailoring their services to the drag racing industry, the brothers began their business with only a valve grinder, seat and guide machine, hot tank, and surface grinder.
Throughout the 48 years in business, Auto Machine, Incorporated has been dedicated to servicing customers near and far. Working with area schools, established community townships, area auto dealerships and repair shops, their list of achievements include:
- Auto Machine Awarded “Vintage Engine Builder of the Year” in 2017
- John DeBates received “Machinist of the Year” Award in 1999
- Auto Machine is recognized for assisting in the construction of a model of the Wright Brothers’ plane
- Kim Ramont is recognized for participating in the Automotive Education program at St. Charles East High School
- John DeBates taught Automotive Education at Elgin Community College
- John DeBates was Chairman of the Board of AERA from 2005–2006 and served on the Board for 8 years
- Jim DeBates is a graduate of the Milwaukee School of Engineering with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- Kim Ramont has written published editorials on the automotive industry in “Engine Professional”